Best Cat Scratching Posts 2021 Reviews
Give Space To Your Cat’s Instincts And Keep Him Happy With The Best Cat Scratching Posts
Cats scratch because it’s a basic instinct. When you see them redecorating your furniture, don’t reprimand them too hard for it. Some people even go as far as having them declawed! You shouldn’t have to harm your cat to save your furniture. Instead, get the best cat scratching posts and you will never have to worry about it again.
Cat scratching posts come in many shapes and sizes. Since cats are different, you should make sure to see what your cats like to test their claws on in the house. For most of them, its rough or textured upright surfaces, or something that they can really sink their claws into. Shortening their nails with a claw clipper might help, but if it’s not enough, a scratching post or pad is necessary.
This list of the best cat scratching posts will help you keep your cat happy and your furniture pristine. Read through to see what your cat will like best and with one of the top cat cameras, you can see if they really keep them far from your home decoration.
Overview Of The Best Cat Scratching Posts:
Top-Rated Cat Scratching Posts Compared
|PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge||Cardboard||7.5 pounds||34" x 10. 5" x 10. 5"||Yes|
|AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post||Natural jute and coconut rope, MDF wood base||5.2 pounds||11.8” x 11.8” x 12.9”||No|
|PetFusion Jumbo Cat Scratcher Lounge||Cardboard, corn starch glue||11.2 pounds||39" x 11" x 14. 3"||Yes|
|AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post and Hammock||Coconut fiber, MDF, plush||8.95 pounds||15.8" x 15.8" x 19.7"||No|
|Kitty City XL Wide Premium Scratching Woven Sisal Carpet||Sisal, fleece||9.5 pounds||15.8" x 15.8" x 32"||No|
|Trixie Sisal Scratching Post||Cardboard, sisal, plush, MDF||7 pounds||15.5” x 15.5” x 24.2”||No|
|4 Paws Stuff Tall Cat Scratching Post||MDF, sisal, velcro||4.75 pounds||11.4” x 11.4” x 11.4"||No|
|Petstages Cat Scratcher and Hammock||Sisal, cardboard||2.6 pounds||21.2" x 14" x 3.2"||Yes|
|Catit Style Scratcher with Catnip||Cardboard||0.8 pounds||8.7” x 19.5” x 1.2”||Yes|
|AMZNOVA Cat Scratcher||Cardboard||0.55 pounds||17” x 7” x 1.5”||Yes|
10 Top Cat Scratching Posts In 2021
PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge – Best Overall
The PetFusion Ultimate is a cardboard cat scratcher with an almost perfect rating. You know how cats love to scratch on wooden surfaces, and also how they love to curl up in comfortable places. Add that to the fact that cats go crazy over catnip, and you will understand why this is the ultimate cat scratching pad.
It is made of recycled cardboard and safe corn starch glue. Cats love the feel of cardboard even better than wood.
Its timeless infinity design makes for a great cat chill spot too, and you will soon find that your favorite furry friend loves to curl up and sleep away on it.
The cardboard is infused with catnip, which draws the cats to scratch on it instead of furniture. As they scratch, it releases an aromatic odor which encourages more activity and stimulation. When they’re tired and ready to sleep, catnip helps them relax.
The PetFusion Ultimate is the best cat scratching furniture that you can get your cat. And if your cat drops pieces of cardboard around the house, with one of the best cat vacuums you will keep everything clean.
- Made of recycled cardboard held together by natural corn starch glue.
- Infused with catnip.
- Reversible if one side gets too worn out.
- Infinity shape design for cats to lounge on.
- Big enough for two cats.
- Dimensions – 34”L x 10.5”W x 10.5”H
- Weights 7.5 pounds (3.4 kg)
- Large and heavy to maintain stability.
- Far more attractive to scratch than your furniture.
- Dual function; cats will also love lounging around on it.
- It can serve two cats at once.
- You can reverse the sides when one becomes too worn out.
- It makes for a nice addition to your home decor.
- Expensive. Once it wears out, you will have to replace it.
- Once it starts wearing, you’re going to be vacuuming bits and pieces of cardboard all over your house.
50 dollars for a cardboard cat scratching post might seem like a waste of money until you realize how much your beloved feline pal loves it. You will never again have to worry about your furniture.
AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post – Best Budget Option
If you’re working on a budget, the AmazonBasics cat scratching post is the ideal option. It is durable and cats will adore its textured surface. It consists of three scratch poles with an attached pom-pom ball for your cats to have fun with.
Scratching poles for cats are more preferable because, in the jungle, they would more likely be scratching against tree trunks. Thus, it will feel more natural for them.
The AmazonBasics cat scratching post is made of MDF wood base with natural jute and coconut fiber twine wound tightly around it. This makes it perfect for cats to sink their claws into but lasts for much longer because the fiber is strong and resistant to wear.
The triple post design makes it suitable for up to three cats with a maximum weight of 15 pounds. It is also a great kitten scratching post.
This scratching post for cats doesn’t feature catnip, but you can easily match it with some of the best catnip toys to keep your pets busier and make them forget about your furniture.
- Made of a fibreboard base (made of lumber by-products) and coconut fiber twine.
- Neutral grey color to fit discreetly into your home decor.
- 3 scratching posts with a pom-pom ball for extra fun.
- Dimensions 11.8” by 11.8” by 12.9”
- Weighs 5.2 pounds.
- Sturdy and long-lasting.
- It won’t clash with your home decor thanks to its neutral colors.
- Triple pole design for use by up to 3 cats.
- Stable and heavy enough for up to 15-pound cats.
- Made of environmentally friendly components.
- Despite the 15 pound limit, this is best used as a kitten scratching post. Heavy cats find it too short and tip it over quite easily.
- Some cats may not like it if they find it too hard to scratch on.
The AmazonBasics cat scratching pole is a decent but cheap scratching post for those on a low budget. It is a bit too flimsy for larger and more active cats, but smaller ones and kittens will love it.
PetFusion Jumbo Cat Scratcher Lounge
2 used from $73.55
If you like giving the best to your feline companions without stopping to count pennies, the PetFusion Jumbo Cat Scratcher Lounge is the perfect cat scratcher. It comes from the same manufacturer as our top pick and is more or less the same product though sturdier, larger and with a less pronounced infinity shape.
As you might tell from the name, it is designed for large cats. If you have a ragdoll, Chausie or savannah, this cardboard cat scratcher will be perfect for them.
Cats love to lie on comfortable surfaces, and yours will take an instant liking to the Jumbo’s gentle curves. Its shape also leaves an open space below where cats would love to hide in and play.
Like the PetFusion Lounge in our top pick, the Jumbo also comes with premium North American catnip to help draw your cats away from the furniture to this amazing product.
- Made of recycled cardboard put together by non-toxic corn-starch glue.
- Two-tiered design.
- Extra-long and wide.
- It comes with catnip leaf to infuse into its surface.
- Doubles up as a cat lounger.
- Reversible surfaces if one side gets too worn out.
- Innovative design which is a favorite with all cats.
- The included catnip is a hit with cats and helps prevent further furniture scratching.
- Reversible to help it last longer.
- The softer cardboard design is more enjoyable and safer for cats.
- Big and wide to accommodate multiple large cats.
- Aggressive scratchers will soon tear this thing apart. It doesn’t wear very well.
- Expensive, considering that it might need replacement within a few months.
When it comes to pet furniture, the PetScratcher Jumbo pet lounge is the best cat scratcher. While it will cost you a good deal, you will be thankful to have bought it once you see how much fun cats have with it.
AmazonBasics Cat Scratching Post and Hammock
The AmazonBasics Cat Scratching post is made of two tall, stable cat scratching posts for both kittens and adult cats. It consists of two MDF (medium-density fibreboard) with a natural fiber rope wound around it.
Cats love climbing. However, for those that stay indoors, there’s not much they can climb on. This cat scratching post is tall enough to allow for light climbing in addition to scratching. It also comes with a detachable pom ball to keep your cats busy for hours and a hammock for cats to relax on as they would on a cat tree with hammock.
The rope is made of coconut fiber which ensures durability. It is also comfortable enough for most cats, including kittens, to get a good scratch in.
- Wide MDF base with strong natural coconut fiber twine.
- Neutral colors.
- Dimensions – 15.8” x 15.8” x 31.5”.
- Weighs 4.85 pounds (2.2kg)
- It comes with a hammock and a detachable pom ball for your cats to play with.
- Tall enough to allow cats a full stretch (which they love). Kittens will be able to climb up and down.
- The hammock and ball is a thoughtful addition.
- Its neutral color fits perfectly with most decor styles.
- It is cheap but durable.
- The textured feel of the twine attracts cats away from your furniture.
- When new, the scent of cardboard (formaldehyde) can be overwhelming to humans.
- The scratching causes the fur-like fiber residue to fall all over your house.
This is a very affordable option if you have playful cats. For the lazier ones, you may not find much improvement unless you rub catnip into the rope. However, you also have the advantage of rewinding it when it wears out.
Kitty City XL Wide Premium Scratching Woven Sisal Carpet
4 used from $37.23
The Kitty City extra-large scratching carpet is a heavy-duty cat scratching post for the more active cats. It is made of natural woven sisal in the form of a carpet instead of twine which is more durable and hygienic for your house.
Unlike the light unstable things that most scratching posts are, this one is heavy and comes with a stable base. That means that even the heaviest cats will not turn it over or move it.
Since cats love stretching, they will also love its height. For extra fun, it has a cat perch on its top and an attached ball.
- Neutral colors.
- Natural woven sisal material with no bleaching.
- Dimensions: 15.75”L x 15.75”W x 32”H.
- Weight: 9.5 pounds (4.3 kg).
- Fleece cover top for a comfortable perch.
- Playing ball at the end of a short string.
- It is very durable.
- Wide and stable, can handle even the largest cats.
- Easy assembly with only 3 screws.
- The wide perch on top makes it a favorite with cats.
- Extra tall height gives stretching and climbing capacity to your cats.
- Great customer service.
- The sisal carpet is secured by substandard staples that can fall off and become a hazard to pets and humans alike. Make sure to check them and use a staple gun if necessary.
If your cats destroy every scratching post you get them, the Kitty City XL will prove to be more than a match for them. Although it is a bit more expensive than a typical cat scratching post, the added sturdiness will help you subdue even the most active cats.
Trixie Sisal Scratching Post
Trixie is a respected name when it comes to manufacturing cat furniture and other pet products. The Trixie sisal tall scratching post is a popular option due to the great functionality you get and the very cheap pricing.
It is made of a cardboard tube, MDF base and sisal twine wound around the tube. Cats love the texture of sisal because they can sink their claws deep into it. Each of the materials used is non-toxic so that it is safe for your cats.
It is comparatively taller which makes it a delight to cats, especially kittens who love climbing.
- Made of MDF base, a cardboard tube, and sisal twine.
- Dimensions: 15.5” x 15.5” x 24.2”
- Neutral platinum gray color.
- The base is covered with soft plush.
- Weight: 7 pounds (3.17 kg).
- Perfect for kittens because it is tall and lets them climb.
- Made of eco-friendly material.
- Very affordable.
- You can put it together quickly and easily.
- It features light carpeting on the base on which cats can also scratch.
- It is not very durable; sometimes the base can come clean off.
- If you don’t anchor it to the ground, heavy cats could knock it over which constitutes a danger.
The Trixie sisal cat scratching pole is a low-end option that would be more suited to a home with kittens rather than full-grown cats. That being said, it is also a more cost-efficient way to draw your cats away from the furniture if you’re on a budget.
4 Paws Stuff Tall Cat Scratching Post
The 4 Paws Stuff is a big cat scratching post with an integrated ball-and-track toy on its base. This makes it one of the more innovative designs that are sure to get your cat’s attention quickly.
The toy consists of two concentric circular tracks carved into the base with two balls that roll freely about but can’t get out. Your cats will love swatting them about and following them around for hours.
The toy will help to wean your cats away from the furniture to the scratching post. Win-Win.
- It consists of a thick MDF base, 22” tall pole wrapped with sisal rope.
- Features tracks with rolling balls for cats to play with.
- Dimensions: 11.4” x 11.4” x 11.4″
- Weight: 4.75 pounds (2.15 kg)
- It features velcro straps to secure the post and protect your floor.
- The toy in the base is a fun way to get cats interested in the post.
- It is sturdier than most.
- It features added security from tipping over in the form of velcros.
- Made of natural and non-toxic material.
- It is short.
The 4 Paws Stuff Tall cat scratching post is a clear winner with its integrated toy and quality construction. Unlike most scratching posts, it is more stable which cats will love.
Petstages Cat Scratcher and Hammock
1 used from $12.15
The Petstages Cat scratcher and Hammock is a foldable ‘X’ shaped cardboard and sisal cat scratcher that you can get at a very affordable price. It will easily become your cat’s favorite hangout spot due to its comfortable curved shape.
If you have particularly large cats such as Maine Coons, you will be hard-pressed to find a better scratcher/hammock. It is very sturdy, strong, and holds up fine even if two cats decide to share.
Although it doesn’t come with the option to anchor to the floor, cats will not be able to push it over. Instead, they might drag it all over the house in search of the perfect spot to catch a nap. It won’t hurt them to do a little physical activity.
- Consists of a scratching pad and a hammock lounge.
- Made of fibreboard in a foldable ‘X’ design.
- Held together by sturdy corrugate.
- Includes powdered catnip to help your cats forget about the furniture.
- Multiple scratching surfaces for cats to choose from.
- It is large and sturdy, making it perfect for large cats.
- 2-in-1 functionality.
- Very stable and safe.
- Made of non-toxic and natural material.
- The package includes catnip to help draw the felines to it.
- If your cat is particularly heavy, the fibreboard construction will soon give way.
It is made of medium-density fibreboard, which means that durability is limited. However, given its cheap price, you can afford to replace them every six months or so. It will be worth it judging from how much cats love it.
Catit Style Scratcher with Catnip
The Catit Scratcher offers a new twist on contemporary cat scratcher design. It features a long low design with a corrugated scratching surface. That way, your furry babies can enjoy lounging on it to relax in addition to scratching.
Its 19.5” dimensions mean that it is stable and doesn’t pose any falling risk to your cats. It is also easy to push if your cats are more active than usual and like to drag things about the house.
The Catit lounge scratcher also comes with catnip for good measure. The herb elicits more excitement and activity from your cats so that they can play and expend their energy more. It also helps to relax and calm them, so it is especially useful for cats with anxiety issues.
The Catit is the ultimate scratching board for all kinds of cats, no matter their size, shape, or age. The older and lazier cats will especially adore the effortless scratching opportunities it offers and will stay away from your furniture.
- Dimensions: 8.7” x 19.5” x 1.2”
- Weight: 12.8 ounces (0.8 pounds)
- Jungle green patterned print.
- Corrugated scratching surface.
- Includes catnip.
- Its long low design is great for elderly, overweight or lazy cats.
- Stable design, though lightweight.
- The included catnip makes sure that they lose interest in your furniture.
- Great for lounging too.
- The light cardboard construction disintegrates fast under heavy scratching.
- It might be too small for large cats but is perfect for kittens.
The Catit Cat scratching board is a refreshingly new design that your cats will love. It makes a perfect chilling spot for cats, and the catnip will keep them on it all day. The catnip does tend to get inside the fibers though, but it will only add to the fun.
AMZNOVA Cat Scratcher
The Amznova cat scratcher comes in the form of a flat corrugated cardboard scratching board. It is simple and minimalistic, with neutral colors so that it fits perfectly in your home decor.
One distinct advantage you have with the Amznova is that you can buy a bunch of them and connect them to give your cats scratching heaven. Plus, they’re available in various sizes so that you can choose what your cat would love best.
The corrugated cardboard design is more preferable to cats of all types when compared to wood. That is because it is softer and helps them clean and sharpen their claws better. That way, they will soon forget the hard furniture.
It also comes with a packet of catnip so that if your feline friends are stubborn, you can reel them in with it. Cats love catnip for its alluring aroma, and also because it helps them relax and prevent anxiety.
- Long, wide and flat design. Perfect for any cat.
- Corrugated cardboard material is a favorite with cats.
- Available in a variety of neutral colors to fit in your home decor.
- It comes with a packet of catnip.
- Size – 17”L x 7”W x 1.5”H
- Weight – 0.55 pounds.
- You can join it up with other boards for a great surface area.
- The added catnip will help draw the cats from your furniture.
- The material is safer and more comfortable to scratch.
- You can choose the color you want to go with your home decor styling.
- Very cheap.
- Some cats may not use it for scratching, which defeats its whole purpose.
- You will have to clean up after it since it sheds little cardboard pieces all over. Else, put it in an enclosed space.
The AMZNOVA Cat Scratcher is a great budget option if your cat prefers horizontal scratching surfaces. If your furry baby likes to scratch on floors, this is the perfect solution. If they like the vertical ones, you might have a long day trying to convince them that the pad is better. The catnip helps, though.
Best Cat Scratching Posts: Buying Guide
Cats are extremely picky in everything they do. When buying them a scratching surface, you need to make sure that you get it the first time or they won’t give it the time of day. Here is how to choose the perfect cat scratcher.
The most important part is the design of the unit. Is it vertical or horizontal, and does it allow the cat to stretch while scratching? Some cats love horizontal scratchers, while others prefer the vertical ones. Observe your cats to see what they like.
When buying scratching poles, make sure that they’re tall enough for the cats to stretch fully while scratching. A short post will be uncomfortable for them.
Also, check to make sure the base is very stable. Cats won’t go near a scratching post or lounge if it is likely to fall. In nature, they scratch on trees so they’re used to stable things. Plus, an unstable scratcher could injure or kill your beloved felines.
The material the scratcher is made of determines how much the cats use it. They prefer something they can sink their claws into and shred while being firm at the same time. In this regard, sisal and corrugated cardboard are favorites with all cats.
Carpeting is not so good, because it snags their claws and doesn’t shred. Plus, cats love the deeply satisfying sound of scratching
Also, make sure that it’s different from the surfaces in your house they love to scratch. Otherwise, they won’t tell the difference between the scratcher and that carpet if they’re similar.
Make sure that the cat scratcher is not limited to a few square inches. Cats like to have options, so give it to them. If you don’t, all that real estate in the back of the couch will still be very appealing to them.
Go for the cat scratchers that can double up as loungers, chewing toys, perches unless you have an elegant cat window perch, or something else. They will look more appealing to the cat and will give you greater value.
Final Words On The Usefulness of Scratching Posts For Cats
Cats will always scratch; it is part of their primal instinct. Buying a cat scratcher is more of saving your furniture than entertaining them, so make sure you buy one that works. Get one of these cat scratchers and you will never have to worry about your wooden furniture or floors again.
Cats will always scratch; it is part of their primal instinct. Buying a cat scratching post is more of saving your furniture than entertaining them, so make sure you buy one that works. Get one of these cat scratchers and you will never have to worry about your wooden furniture or floors again.