Best Cat Litter Mat Reviews 2023
Every pet parent knows that the least exciting part of owning pets is cleaning up after them. With cats, the job is a bit easier because they can easily be trained to use cat litter boxes. With a litter box, you will also need a cat litter mat, and to keep the house odor-free, a cat litter pad will help a lot.
Cat litter mats help to prevent your furry pals that they have just digested their cat food or expelled their fur with these cat hairball remedies from spreading litter all over your house. As they do their business, small particles stick to their paws which can cause ‘tracking’ all over your house. A good litter mat can catch these particles before they reach your carpet, kitchen, stairs, or even furniture.
Practically speaking, no litter is 100% efficient, not even the best cat litters, whether clay or crystal litters. You are always going to find bits and pieces of stray litter in unexpected places. Still, a litter mat keeps the mess to a minimum and makes it way easier to clean. Plus, some cats are total nightmares and do not adhere to litter rules. In this case, your best option to keep your house clean is to pick one of the best vacuums for cat hair.
The 10 Top-Rated Cat Litter Mats Compared
|Smiling Paws Pets Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||35" x 23.5"||3.6 lb|
|Gorilla Grip Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||35" x 23"||N/A|
|PetFusion ToughGrip Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||30" x 23"||2.6 lb|
|Easyology Jumbo Litter Mat||Not Easy||Urine-proof||47" x 36"||5 lb|
|iPrimio Large Cat Litter Trapper Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||30" x 23"||8 oz|
|BlackHole Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||30" x 23"||1.5 lb|
|UPSKY Double Large Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||24'' x 20'' (2 pieces)||2 lb|
|CatGuru Premium Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||24” x 20”||1.5 lb|
|MIGHTY MONKEY Premium Cat Litter Trapping Mats||Easy||Urine-proof||24" x 17"||N/A|
|CleanHouse Premium Cat Litter Mat||Easy||Urine-proof||36" x 24"||2.8 lb|
10 Best Cat Litter Mats in 2023
Cat litter mats may seem quite basic, but they differ a lot in quality and functionality. These are the best litter mats you can get for your feline babies to make sure that they do not soil your house too much.
Smiling Paws Pets Cat Litter Mat (Best Overall)
The Smiling Paws cat litter mat is a heavy-duty, non-skid loofah fiber mat. It is designed to keep litter from spreading into the rest of the house by catching it between the intertwined fibers.
This mat is seriously heavy: 3.6 pounds to be precise. With its non-skid bottom, it stays where you want it to stay and won’t be moved around by mischievous cats. You can put it on hardwood floors, tiles, carpets, or any other floor surface.
The loofah fibers that it is made of do not absorb urine or retain any odors once it is washed. This makes it great for cats that are prone to making accidents outside the box. It keeps poop and urine from seeping through to your floor, and when the time comes you can just hose it down.
- Scratch-proof intertwined fiber.
- Non-toxic, BPA and Phthalate free.
- Heavy, weighing in at 3.6 pounds.
- It is an XL litter mat, measuring 35” x 23.5”.
- Non-slip bottom.
- Gray in color.
- Double layer sealant for urine proofing which prevents seeping.
- Heavy and stable.
- Easy to vacuum dry litter.
- Large size.
- Very durable due to its scratch and tear-proof design.
- Neutral gray color for any home decor.
- Nontoxic material, which makes it safe for all pets.
- Once any liquid and semi-liquid sludge get between the fibers, it can be had to clean it up. You can, however, use a high-powered pressure washer for those situations.
- It takes a long time to dry when wet.
The Smiling Paws Pets cat litter mat is a durable and heavy-duty option for any pet parent out there who’s tired of vacuuming dry litter from their house. This unit holds on admirably to any stray litter.
Gorilla Grip Original Premium Durable Cat Litter Mat (Best Value)
The Gorilla Grip Original is the best cat litter mat you can get for your money. It is a technologically advanced type of rug, with scientifically designed grooves and meshes to catch litter not only from your cat’s paws but also anything that gets thrown out of the litter box.
This particular unit comes in an extra-large size, although three other size options are available. The Jumbo at 47″ x 35″, is the largest litter mat so far.
The Gorilla Grip design means that you get a rugged and highly durable rug. It can withstand all kinds of scratching and chewing from cats. It also features a non-slip backing to ensure that the mat does not slide around your home, and neither does it let litter fall off.
Even more importantly, it is made from non-toxic, pet-safe material free from phthalate. It is also super soft on the cat’s paws and easy to clean.
- Non-slip backing prevents sliding on smooth floors.
- Made of pet-safe materials, no phthalate at all.
- Technologically advanced grooves and mesh to catch litter efficiently.
- Soft and gentle, even when cats jump onto it.
- You can order a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes to suit your floor.
- Easy to clean.
- It is very good at catching litter.
- You have many options when ordering to make sure you get the perfect fit.
- Very soft; cats will love it!
- Litter comes straight off when you use soap and water, or just by vacuuming.
• It is not urine-proof, so it might ruin the floor underneath.
• On a smooth floor, it tends to slide around.
This is the best mat to catch litter because of its advanced grooves and mesh system. You might need to spend a little extra effort and anchor it down though. Also, put a puppy training pad underneath to waterproof it. After that, it will be just perfect.
PetFusion ToughGrip Cat Litter Mat (Best Premium)
The PetFusion ToughGrip is made of pet-safe silicon approved by the FDA, which makes it the best litter box mat for cats that tend to have ‘accidents’ outside the box. That is because silicone is waterproof, doesn’t retain odors, and is amazingly easy to clean.
PetFusion went ahead and added slightly raised edges on this litter mat. That way, even if a feline managed to peer on it, it would be contained on the mat and not drip on the floor. In the rare chance that it did drip onto the floor, then a patterned bottom serves as the last line of defense to keep it from spreading.
If you have wooden floors, this is the best cat litter mat from Amazon. It features anti-microbial activity to prevent mold and mildew. The grooves on it serve to catch stray litter efficiently and allow fast and easy cleanup.
- Made of premium FDA grade silicone. It is water and stain resistant and doesn’t retain odors.
- Anti-microbial properties prevent mildew and mold.
- Easy to clean.
- Patterned bottom and slightly raised edges on the top to prevent spills.
- Available in large (30×23”) and extra-large (38×26”) sizes.
- Waterproof and odor proof.
- Prevents odors and rotting.
- Curvy groove pattern makes it easy to clean off the litter.
- Heavy, so it won’t move around your floor.
- Soft and gentle for cats to walk on.
- Pet-safe made from FDA-approved silicone.
- Quite pricey for a mat.
- The grooves make it harder to clean it. You’ve got to pick it up and shake it physically. Alternatively, hose it down outside.
The PetFusion ToughGrip cat litter is pricey, but the protection it offers your floors and carpet is worth much more. Plus, cleaning it is a breeze because it doesn’t absorb odors. Of the silicone mats, it is the best cat litter you can buy on Amazon.
Easyology Jumbo Litter Mat 47″ x 36″ Cat Litter Mat
As the name suggests, the Easyology is gigantic! It is the largest cat litter matter you need if you have extra messy cats. It is made of tightly woven fibers that help to hold onto litter granules. Even with extra-playful cats, you can be sure that they won’t go tracking all over your house.
The Easyology Jumbo is extra heavy-duty, made of waterproof and antimicrobial material. It features elevated ridges on the edges to contain litter, especially urine.
You can also order a smaller version of this mat if your house is smaller. In the same way, you can order a selection of shapes from quadrants for your corners to circular mats.
Cats may take some time to adjust to the ridged texture though, so make sure to introduce them to it gradually.
- Tightly wound fibers to hold onto any stray litter.
- Waterproof and odor proof design courtesy of FDA approved silicone.
- Antimicrobial properties to prevent mildew and mold.
- Raised ridges to contain litter and urine.
- Tightly meshed fibers to hold onto litter particles.
- Wavy raised patterns to help prevent litter from scattering.
- Its waterproof properties help to protect your floor or carpet.
- It prevents the scattering of litter particles.
- Non-slip design to help it stay in place.
- Heavy-duty and durable design protects it against scratching.
- It stays fresh with a simple cleaning because it doesn’t absorb odors.
- Its large size and different shape options are available to help you choose the best fit.
- The interwoven fibers are a nightmare to clean especially if your cat is prone to making ‘accidents’ outside the litter box.
- Due to its size and weight, it doesn’t dry easily.
The Easyology Jumbo kitty litter mat is a big mat for messes. It is perfect for kittens who’re still learning to use the litter box, who still haven’t got their ‘aim’ right. This mat helps to catch any stray litter, poo, or urine to protect your floor. And to keep it odor-free, use one of the top cat urine removers.
iPrimio Large Cat Litter Trapper Mat
The iPrimio cat litter trapper mat offers patent-pending ingenious technology for the best litter trapping capabilities. It features large honeycomb holes in a dual-layer design. The litter falls through the holes on the top layer to the lower one made of proprietary plastic technology.
The lower layer helps to keep to trap litter in the holes. If by accident your furry babies decide they like to pee on it too, that layer is made of waterproof plastic that protects the floor underneath even better than silicone does. This dual design virtually eliminates tracking, and even the most playful of kittens won’t be able to spread litter due to its large size.
The two layers are easily separated, allowing for effortless cleaning under a showerhead or from a hose. It’s made of synthetic fibers that are both light and water repellent. That way, it doesn’t retain water and dries quickly. This also means that they won’t retain odors. One wash and they’re good as new.
- Very light, made of nylon mesh.
- Made of a dual-layer; the top layer is made of nylon fibers, while the bottom layer is waterproof plastic.
- Available in both large and jumbo sizes.
- The top layer has holes in a honeycomb design to trap litter particles.
- The space between the layers is large enough to fit a puppy pad if your cat is super messy.
- Effective ‘honeycomb’ design traps all litter sizes and eliminates tracking.
- Waterproof plastic film protects your floor.
- Nylon fibers are easy to clean, do not retain odors, and dry quickly.
- Very easy to clean either by vacuuming or hosing under running water.
- The plastic film is not very effective if your cat pees a lot on it. In that case, use a puppy pad between the two layers for added protection.
- Because it is lightweight, it tends to slip around on the floor.
The iPrimio is the best litter trapping and big cat litter mat. Its innovative honeycomb design ensures that litter stays there. However, it is a bit expensive so you need to take good care of it. Adding a puppy pad will make ensure that you derive maximum usefulness from it.
BlackHole Litter Mat Blackhole Cat Litter Mat
The BlackHole is the original mat to feature the honeycomb design and has become very popular with pet parents as the best mat to catch cat litter. It comes with a dual layer which effectively keeps cat litter trapped between its large holes.
The BlackHole litter mat is made of heavy-duty, waterproof EVA foam material. It can hold litter and even cat pee effectively and prevent it from ruining your floor. Cats also love the soft smooth feel of foam on their paws.
The EVA is very easy to clean because it repels water and dirt. It also retains no odors, so a quick wash with soap and water is more than enough.
- It features the innovative honeycomb hole patterned design to catch litter particles inside the holes. This prevents tracking inside your house.
- It is made of heavy-duty EVA foam material for durability.
- Available in a variety of sizes and colors.
- Two-layered design.
- Universal honeycomb holes design catch all kinds of litter.
- Heavy and durable.
- Easy to clean.
- Doesn’t retain water, pee, or associated odors.
- Free from toxins, gentle on cat’s paws.
- It has two closed-off sides instead of one. When picking it up to empty, litter tends to spill from one side.
- Some cats don’t like the texture because of the holes, so they deliberately avoid it.
The BlackHole works great! Stray litter will disappear from your floor or carpets. Apart from minor flaws which can easily be corrected, the biggest concern might be the price. That is especially because you might need two or three to surround your litter box sufficiently.
UPSKY Double Large Cat Litter Mat
If you don’t want to spend tens of dollars but still want a good functional cat litter box mat, the Upsky Double Large pair is for you. Not only do they do a great job of keeping stray litter away from your floors, but they are also soft enough for your cats to while away the time by playing and napping on them.
You get two large mats for the price of one, which allows you to set them around your portable cat litter box as you like.
The Upsky mats are durable, waterproof, and incredibly easy to clean. They are made of light PVC material with tight fiber coils on top, which apart from trapping dirt also serve to make is gentle for sensitive paws.
- Made of lightweight but durable PVC.
- Two large mats for the price of one.
- Slip-resistant backing on the bottom.
- Original pattern to retain litter on the mat.
- Soft and gentle on cats paws, allows for a variety of uses.
- Effective at retaining litter which lands on it.
- The pack of two makes it ideal for households with multiple cats.
- It helps to avoid slipping on smooth floors.
- Gentle and non-toxic.
- Very affordable.
- If your cats pee or poo on it, you will need to hose it down with soap and water quickly because it tends to retain odors.
- The individual sizes are smaller than standard mats.
Cat litter mats need to be more than they appear if they’re to work properly, and that is what you get with this pair. Their intertwined fiber design is great for keeping litter off your floor, and by having two of them you can get quite creative.
CatGuru Premium Cat Litter Mat
CatGuru is conscious of the wellness needs of every cat, and thus takes a completely different approach to cat litter rugs. It designed the CatGuru Premium cat litter mat out of microfiber and rubber backing to give you the best advantages from both.
Microfiber actively cleans litter remains from the paws of your cats as they walk over it. While silicone and plastic remain passive, microfiber keeps more than 99% of stray litter off your floors. This makes it the best cat litter mat for your cats and floors as well.
It comes with heavy-duty, non-slip backing on the bottom to keep your floor free of pee. It also helps to prevent the mat from moving around as your cats walk on it.
- It consists of microfiber shag and heavy rubber-like backing.
- The 3D design retains all the litter your cat manages to get out of the litter box.
- Medium 24” x 20” size.
- Completely waterproof.
- Tested and approved by 10 cats!
- Machine washable.
- It is very effective at trapping litter.
- It looks nice, compared to the silicone mats.
- Ultra comfortable for cats.
- Easy to clean off solid litter by shaking it off.
- Heavy waterproof backing protects your floor.
- The non-slip backing prevents it from moving about your house.
- Very heavy when wet, and might prove tough for small washing machines.
- Some cats like to pee on it due to its soft 3D fiber texture.
If you’re looking to gift your cat a suitable litter rug for their feet, the CatGuru premium is the best cat mat for catching litter. It is soft, efficient, and free of toxins. However, the mat is only available in medium sizes so you might have to budget for several. Apart from that, they’re worth the cost, at least from a cat’s perspective.
MIGHTY MONKEY Premium Cat Litter Trapping Mats
Ultimate durability comes in the form of this Mighty Monkey cat litter mat. If your felines have been tearing other mats to shreds, this is the best cat litter mat for them. It consists of a special mesh framework and heavy-duty backing that ensures many years of hassle-free service.
To prove it, you also get a 10-year manufacturer’s guarantee with the mat. Apart from its ruggedness, it is quite effective at trapping litter in its ⅓ in grooves. It is also soft and comfortable even on sensitive paws.
- Superior mesh framework to catch the stray litter.
- Heavy-duty slip-resistant backing to protect your floor from cat pee.
- Toxin-free; no phthalate involved.
- 10-year manufacturer’s warranty included.
- Cat’s won’t find it easy to tear it apart thanks to the mesh framework.
- Deep grooves help to catch all kinds of litter.
- Soft and gentle for paws.
- Easy to clean.
- It won’t move about as cats play on it.
- If your cat does a poo in it, it will stick in the mesh which makes cleaning harder.
- While it will prevent urine from leaking through, it retains odor and encourages cats to use it again and again.
This is a great cat litter mat for those ninja cats that like to tear everything apart. Its heavy-duty backing and strong mesh fiber give it legendary durability.
CleanHouse Premium Cat Litter Mat
The CleanHouse Premium is a heavy-duty, high quality but affordable cat litter mat. It features a mesh surface to help catch loose litter that your cat gets out of the box.
The CleanHouse Premium is one of the safest cat litter mats because it is free of both phthalate and BPA. The mesh surface is also soft to accommodate felines with sensitive paws.
Its non-slip backing helps it to stay in place even on slippery surfaces such as tiles, and also makes it durable against aggressive scratches.
- Extra-large in size (3ft x 2ft).
- Two colors available, beige and taupe.
- Free of both BPA and phthalate.
- Waterproof, non-slip backing.
- Weight: 2.8 pounds (1.27 kg).
- Much harder to clean pee and poop which gets inside the mesh.
- The new mat comes with a sickly smell that goes away in a few days.
This is a great budget option for those who don’t want to spend a lot on a cat litter rug. It is heavy-duty, waterproof, and catches litter well. If your cat is prone to accidents, you might want to look at alternatives.
Best Cat Litter Mat Buying Guide
Cat litter mats are the last thing you would expect to have such a variety. Turns out, your choice of a litter mat influences the quality of your life and that of your favorite feline baby. So, as a responsible cat parent, here is what you should look for to make sure that you get the best mat to catch cat litter.
The material the mat is made of determines its functionality and quality. Rubber is waterproof and protects your floor. Cleaning it is also a breeze, but is heavy and unpleasant for cats. The same applies to silicone.
Microfiber is very comfortable for little paws and holds onto litter like velcro. However, it is very hard to clean up accidents on it.
The best compromise among these are the textured kind like the BlackHole, but cats hate their texture and avoid them altogether. Also make sure that the material is waterproof, especially if you have wooden floors.
Be keen to ensure that the mat contains no toxins such as phthalate or BPA. Cat parents know how bad these two can be. It is also good to make sure that the mat has a good non-slip backing to prevent accidents when cats jump onto it.
3. Ease of cleaning
While this is tied in closely with the type of material, it is important to consider how easy it will be to clean the mat. Cats will always be cats, and invariably an accident will occur. Consider whether it is machine-washable or if it will retain odors.
Some cats simply don’t like litter mats and try to jump clear of them. Others like them a little bit too much and play around with them. Either way, make sure the mat you choose is large enough for your space.
There’s more to cat litter mats than meets the eye. You should be careful to ensure that you get the best mat to catch cat litter. This review focuses on rugs or different material, price points, and design so that you can choose the one that most suits your cat’s habits. You never again have to worry about naughty cats with no sanitary consideration for your home.
Every pet parent knows that the least exciting part of owning pets is cleaning up after them. With cats, the job is a bit