Best Cat Hairball Remedies (2021 Reviews)
Give Relief To Your Feline Friend With These Top-Rated Hairball Treatments For Cats:
People simply love pets, whether it is to eliminate loneliness, learn to pamper, or just have a furry creature running around the house. It is definitely fun having these furballs around to bring companionship and spread the love.
However, caring for these is not a simple ordeal. Pets, especially cats, have a very different system than us, which makes it quite difficult to detect symptoms and problems. One of these significant problems is feline hairballs, which tend to occur more in long-haired cats. Research shows that hairballs occur 50% more frequently in longhaired cats than smaller ones, which means Persian, Maine Coon, and Himalayan are more susceptible to this.
Hairballs aren’t detected until the last stage, where prevention is not possible. At that stage, the hairball has developed, and the vet is your only option. But it is not always that way. Some cats may pass out hairballs in their feces, so you will find them in the cat’s litter, or throw them up.
One thing cat owners can do is to find a cat laxative home remedy. Oils like mineral oil, corn oil, and olive oil work well in removing cat fur balls and ensure proper digestion too. But home remedies are not always the best hairball medicine for cats because they may cause allergic reactions, may not suit your pet, and can also be fatal to prevent that you need to move on to the other option.
Another hairball treatment for cats is to get fur ball treatment medicines. If your cat is affected by hairballs and suffers constipation too, then you should buy the best cat hairball treatment as soon as possible. One of the most popular solutions is using Laxatone. Laxatone is a vet recommended hairball remedy, which is a cat hairball laxative, but there are several other options too.
Other than that, there are hairball remedies available in pharmacies in the form of pills, liquids, and gel. These work by lubricating the gut lining and allowing the hairballs to flow through the digestive tract and eventually pass through. These lubricants help keep the digestive system hydrated as well. Some also contain extra nutrients like vitamins, cod liver oil, lecithin that improve hair strength to prevent shedding. They also make your pet’s skin healthy.
Choosing the best hairball medicine for cats can be difficult, especially if you are new to this. To help you out, we have listed our top ten choices of best cat hairball remedies. Let’s have a look:
10 Best Cat Hairball Remedies Compared
|Nutri-Vet Feline Natural Oil||Gel||4oz||Chicken||No|
|Sentry Hairball Relief for Cats||Gel||4.4oz||Malt Flavor||Yes|
|TOMLYN Laxatone Hairball Remedy Gel||Gel||8.5oz||Chicken||Yes|
|Beaphar Hairball Paste for Cats||Paste||3.52oz||N/A||Yes|
|Laxatone for Cats||Gel||4.25oz||Maple Flavor||Yes|
|Greenies Feline SMARTBITES Hairball Control||Chews||4.6oz||Chicken||N/A|
|Hartz Hairball Remedy||Chews||3 oz||Chicken||No|
|Richard’s Organics Hairball Remedy||Gel||4.25oz||Tuna||No|
Best Hairball Medicine For Cats Reviews:
Nutri-Vet Feline Natural Oil
• No added preservatives.
• Chicken flavored.
• No artificial colors or flavors.
• It can eliminate hairballs overtime.
If you are looking for best hairball medicine for cats that is also petroleum-free, then Nutri-Vet will have you covered. It is a fantastic remedy for cat hairballs and works both long term and short term. It lubricates the hair and provides relief from hairballs almost instantly.
The formula of Nutri-Vet Feline Paw Gel is one of its kind. It is free of any preservatives, artificial flavors, and colors. This makes it an excellent cat hairball remedy because preservatives and chemicals can hurt your cat’s health over a while.
Moreover, overtime Nutri-vet Paw Gel eliminates cat’s hairballs or slows them down. This hairball remedy lubricates the hair, which means cats can pass hairballs faster than they make it.
This hairball laxative works by coating the swallowed hair and stools so it can pass easily through the digestive tract. It also lubricates the colon, so moisture is not reabsorbed, and the cat remains hydrated.
Some cats tend to show adverse reactions to petroleum products, so if you are looking for petroleum-free paw gel, this is for you. It is 100% petroleum-free as well as gentle and effective. Also, due to the gel consistency, it is easier to use, and cats love the flavor.
You can get this 3 oz — gel in just $4.39, which is an excellent price for the number of benefits it has.
• 100% petroleum-free.
• It contains gentle lubricants to allow hairballs to pass freely from the GI tract.
• Thick gel-like consistency for better handling.
• It is filled with natural oils for healthy skin and coat.
• Available in chicken and salmon flavor.
• Cats may not like the flavors.
• The thick gel may fall off the paw.
Sentry Hairball Relief for Cats
• Relieves constipation.
• Petromalt technology.
• For cats older than four weeks.
• Reduces hairballs overtime.
For cats that do not prefer chewable, a gel can be used for hairball control. Using a gel is often more comfortable and more effective as the owners can spread it over anything, and the cat will probably lick it. More often, the owners spread it over the cat’s nose so they can lick it.
Most of the hairball remedies are formulated for cats older than three months, but Petromalt Sentry Hairball relief offers relief to younger cats that are just over four weeks. This will enable you to start it an early age and prevent hairballs.
Adding more value to the money, Petromalt Sentry Hairball relief will provide remedies for vomiting, constipation as well as dry coughs that all link back to hairballs. The cats will become more comfortable as it would be easier to pass hairballs.
• For cats older than four weeks.
• The gel-like formula for cats that don’t prefer chewable.
• Cures hairball symptoms like dry cough, vomiting, etc.
• The cost is a little high.
• Many cats may not like the taste.
TOMLYN Laxatone Hairball Remedy Gel
• Tasty flavors are available to suit your cat.
• Palatable and easy to manage.
• It contains lubricants like soybean and Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.
• Lubricates ingested hair.
TOMLYN Hairball Remedy is one of the best cat hairball remedies. It is enriched with omega 3 and 6, which give your cat healthier skin and prevents the development of hairballs.
This one is trusted by many for providing a safe and gentle hairball cure. The cat lax for hairballs is made from vegetable oils and minerals to allow the furballs to pass from one hole to the other without coughing them up.
The vegetable and mineral oils lubricate the digestive tract allowing the hairball to pass through.
Laxatone cat hairball treatment is also available in multiple flavors to entice cats to lick it up. Cats seem to be very picky about the tastes, and this addition is to facilitate the owners.
• Made with vegetable and mineral oil.
• Variety of flavors.
• The gel is easier to handle.
• Consistency might be a bit thinner than other lubricants.
• Contains petroleum-based ingredients.
Beaphar Hairball Paste for Cats
• Natural ingredients.
• Bio-Mos included.
• No added sugar.
• Prevents hairball buildup.
When your cat doesn’t prefer chews, then using the paste is the next best option.
Beaphar Hairball Paste is a hairball treatment for cats that can easily be added to your cat’s regular food or wet food. This way, the cat will not only eat it easily but would also not complain about the flavor.
Beaphar Hairball Paste contains prebiotics as well as bio-mos, which helps improve the immune system of your cat. This also prevents hairballs and enhances digestion. With time, you will note lesser hairballs and better intestinal movement.
Beaphar brings a unique hairball medicine that contains two stripes. Each stripe represents a significant element of this cat laxative. One stripe is enriched with vegetable oils that soften the stool and make a passage for the hairballs by lubricating the intestine. The other stripe contains bioMOS that will improve digestion and encourage the growth of healthy gut microbiota.
Another great thing about Beaphar Hairball’s paste is that the flavor is prevalent among cats. You can easily mix a small amount of it in your cat’s food bowl and see the magic.
• Makes passage for hairballs to pass through the GI tract.
• Great flavor and effective.
• The Bio-MOS allows the growth of gut flora and aids digestion.
• Easy to administer.
• No Cons.
Laxatone for Cats
• Lubricates and eliminates hairballs.
• Multiple flavors.
• Easy to use.
Laxatone is a must-have if you have a furry creature at your home, especially cats. If your pet is long-haired, too, then hairballs can be a significant problem. In this case, Laxatone comes handy.
It is effortless to use, palatable and gives predictable results that prevent users from getting surprised by the outcomes.
This is a very gentle lubricant that prevents and eliminates hairballs in cats. It is usually recommended by vets to their clients to aid in the digestion of cats. It removes symptoms of hairballs like vomiting, retching, and constipation.
Laxatone mainly is helpful to counter constipation and its effects that include sluggishness and no production of feces. It has become an industry-standard in improving digestion in cats. Moreover, it makes sure that the hairballs pass smoothly from the intestinal tract and don’t dry coughing and coughing up hairballs.
To entice cats more, it is available in 2 delicious flavors that are maple and tuna. This will give the cats the liberty to choose their favorite one.
Laxatone is a safe, easy to use, and gentle cat hairball treatment. It will be a preventive measure for constipation and eliminate hairballs. You can keep a tube of Laxatone all the time with you if you have a furry creature and minimize the discomfort of hairballs.
• Easy to use.
• Available in tuna and maple flavor.
• It can be used as a prevention for constipation.
- Some cats strongly dislike maple flavor.
#6 Cat Lax
• It contains Cod Liver oil.
• Breaks down hairballs in cats.
• Vitamin E is present to keep skin healthy.
• It can safely be used long term.
Dechra Cat Lax is one of the best hairball remedies for cats, and it is affordable too. This one here gives the same performance as high-end cat laxatives at a great price at that. In under $5, you can find a solution to all the hairball problems for your pert.
Apart from treating hairballs for your furry creature, Dechra Cat Lax Hairball Remedy contains vitamins and minerals like Vitamin E to give your cat a more healthy skin. The Cod liver oil fortifies this by providing healthier and stronger hair. This will make sure there is less hair fall hence fewer hairballs too.
Moreover, it improves digestion and prevents vomiting. The petroleum base allows lubrication of gut walls, ensuring that hairballs pass through. Also, the taste is said to be so good that even the wildest cats will like it.
Cat Lax will clear up the digestive system of your cat and eliminate hairballs. The Vitamin E, Caramel, Lecithin, Malt syrup all work together to give it a pleasant taste and prevent the discomfort of hairballs.
• It contains Vitamin E and Cod Liver for stronger hair and healthier skin.
• Very Affordable.
• Value for money.
• It can be used long term.
• Palatable Taste
• Petroleum-based products may induce an adverse reaction in cats.
• Gentle and Effective.
• Relieves discomfort and irritation from hairballs.
• Delectable taste that will appeal to cats and dogs.
Pfizer brings out one of the best cat hairball treatments for the nourishment and grooming of your cats and dogs: Pfizer Lax’aire. It is a fantastic lubricant and laxative for your pets, that can be very handy when dealing with your cat’s digestive issues.
The cat furball treatment is straightforward to administer, which makes it effortless for pet owners to give it to their cats. LAX’AIRE contains liquid petroleum that lubricates the gut lining to make sure the hairballs move effortlessly through it and are excreted. Moreover, it also contains cod liver oil as a laxative that promotes healthy and strong hair as well as skin, so there is less shedding of hair.
LAX’ AIRE is also rich in iron, fatty acids, and essential vitamins, which will promote the well-being of your pet apart from managing its digestive tract and hairball prevention. It relieves your pet of constipation and stops hairballs from clogging the gut lining.
This cat furball remedy is gentle as well as productive. The savory flavors catch the attention of cats, making it easier to feed them this medicine. It is also very advantageous in alleviating discomfort and irritation caused by hairballs, consequently, keeping your pet happy.
• Cats love the taste.
• Rich in iron vitamins and fatty acids.
• It contains cod liver oil.
- It may be more expensive than some other hairball remedies.
Greenies Feline SMARTBITES Hairball Control
• Adds only two calories per treat.
• Great flavors like chicken, tuna, and salmon.
• No artificial colors, flavors and preservatives.
For those who are reluctant to use gels, pastes, and other liquid medicine for cat hairballs, there is another option of using chewable. SMART BITES Hairball Control Cat Treats makes it into our list of best cat hairball remedies because it’s all-natural.
There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, and fillers. It is a natural hairball remedy for cats that are made from plant-based fibers, which minimize hairball formation and lead to healthy digestion. It also contains premium proteins to promote healthy growth for your pet.
Fiberblend is the unique formula for this natural hairball remedy, which combines plant-based fibers that offer additional benefits to the cat’s health apart from treating hairballs and digestion.
Something you don’t need to worry about is the taste. Your cat will love one of the three flavors offered by Smartbites that are tuna, chicken, and salmon. The texture is crunchy on the outside and soft inside, making them delectable for your cat.
Moreover, the delicious flavor, along with bite-size pieces, makes it easy to chew. You also don’t have to feel guilty about feeding them to your cat, as there are only 1.3 calories per treat!
• Made from a combination of plant-based fibers.
• Contains 30% crude protein and 17% crude fat.
• Chicken is protein-rich.
• Crunchy texture is very appealing to cats.
• Older cats may have trouble with a crunchy texture.
• Some cats may not like the flavor.
• It contains grains that may not suit some cats.
Hartz Hairball Remedy
• It contains Vitamin E.
• Strengthened with Omega 3, 6, and 9.
• Gentle for kittens.
If your cat is into chews, then Hartz Hairball Remedy is another one of the best hairball remedies for cats that makes it to our list. These soft chews are very easy to use and prevent hairballs in kittens and cats.
When using a cat brush to groom your feline, it is probable that it will ingest some hair that may form hairballs. Hartz Hairball Treat Plus will aid in the smooth passing of hairballs through the intestinal tract. Moreover, after regular use, it will prevent any formation of hairballs in the future by strengthening the hair.
The taste of these chews appeals to cats due to the mouthwatering flavors like chicken and salmon. The texture of these chews is soft to make it easier for older cats to chew. Along with being a hairball control for cats, it also nourishes them with Vitamin E and Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. This aids in the formation of a lush coat and healthier fur.
• Soft texture.
• Contains Vitamin E and Omega 3, 6 and 9.
• Great Flavors are available.
• Some cats prefer paste rather than chews.
• The chicken or tuna flavor might not be adored by your cat.
Richard’s Organics Hairball Remedy
• Includes Beeswax and Lecithin
• Promotes healthy skin and coat.
• Breaks down hairballs before they form.
Richard’s Organics Hairball Remedy comes with a unique formula that nourishes your cat and eliminates hairballs. This is one the best hairball medicine for cats because it contains all-natural ingredients along with Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.
It is also 100% petroleum-free, which means that it will have no adverse side effects on your pet. It also includes beeswax and lecithin, which aids in the movement of hairballs through the digestive tract, decreasing vomiting and constipation.
This cat hairball treatment comes in a gel form and can be easily mixed with wet food or placed on the cat’s paw as you would do with a dewormer, and then it will lick it off. On top of that, it is available in delicious flavors like tuna that will make cats love it.
• Easy to use.
• Affordable and effective.
• 100% petroleum-free.
• It contains beeswax and Lecithin.
• Some cats may not like tuna flavor.
After thoroughly going through all the products, you still might be confused between what to choose. Getting the right laxative for your cat may not be as hunky-dory as it seems. Every cat is quite different from the other and may have different needs.
Something might suit one cat and not the other. In that case, you must be well aware of all the factors that might affect your cat while using a specific brand of laxative. Deciding on the right hairball medicine for your cat will help you save time and spending money on brands that do not suit your cat.
For this, you must pay consideration to the likes and dislikes of your cat and choose the one that suits its needs. We have listed several more essential features that will help you decide the best cat hairball remedies for your cat and help purchase you one if you are new to pets.
- Flavor. This is one of the most critical determinants of whether your cat will take in the hairball laxative. Manufacturers pay special attention to the flavor they introduce. They make sure that it is delectable for cats, and they lick it up quickly. The base is usually Malt, so it is enhanced using flavors like Tuna, Maple, chicken, and salmon that will entice cats. Now, here comes the tricky part. It is not always necessary that you have a cat, so it will like tuna flavor or salmon flavor. Your cat may prefer one taste and not another. This one depends on your cat, so you have to check up and find the right flavor for him or her.
- Petroleum. Petroleum hairball relief for cats is more common than petroleum-free ones. It is mostly because petroleum lubricates the gut walls, and the vaseline base allows the obstruction-free movement of hairballs through the bowels. However, some cats might induce adverse reactions to petroleum hairball paste. Thus, it is essential to know if your cat has some allergic reaction to petroleum products before buying one. Make sure you know if the hairball treat contains petroleum.
- Tube Size. Tube size is quite important in determining if the hairball medication for cats is value for money. More often, you get smaller tubes for a greater price. You have to find a brand that will offer the same performance as top-notch hairball removal gels at a lesser price.
- Easy to use. Cat hairball medicine usually is in the form of chewable pills, liquids, gel, and tablets. Gels are typically preferred to chewable due to their easy to use nature. Cats are picky eaters, and one way of feeding them hairball remedies may not be the best option. Chews are often challenging to feed cats because they are robust and must be given as food. Gels and pastes in that regard can be applied rather easily. You can spread it over their nose and whiskers, and they will lick it up. Also, it can be given along with the cat’s wet food by mixing it in. This will make the cat easily take it without much hard work too. So, will gels it is just three simple steps: Take some paste/gel on your finger, spread it over the nose, or mix it in wet food, then the cat will lick it up.
- Consistency and Appearance. Consistency and appearance play a vital role in the administration of the product. A thinner consistency may fall off the whiskers and nose before the cat licks it up and may not lubricate the gut walls very well. While a thicker consistency will stay for a longer time and will be easier to use. Hairball gels are usually honey-colored with a malt flavor. It may be appealing to some cats and others, not so much. For that, some brands add a unique design to attract cats like a lining of particular nutrients or a more colorful gel.
- Manufacturers and Quality. While buying a hairball formula cat food, make sure the manufacturers are reputable ones. It is probably better to prefer manufacturers inside the US because they are stricter on rules and regulations. This will ensure that you are buying a quality product that is trialed and tested. Check for any guarantees offered so you can return or replace the product if your cat doesn’t like it. Also, for quality assurance, you can check if the hairball paste for cats has an NASC or National Animal Supplement control Quality seal. This signifies that only the best ingredients are used.
- Natural Ingredients. Natural laxatives for cats give additional benefits apart from the usual ones. Natural ingredients allow your pet’s hair to grow healthier and stronger.
- Multivitamins. Hairball control cat food becomes a hundred times better when aided with multivitamins. This makes sure that there are additional benefits for your pet, making their product stand out from other hairball cat food. This may include cod liver oil, Vitamin E, etc.
In the article above, we have presented you with all the information you need to find the right hairball remedy for your cat. Using the buying guide as well as the top 10 fur ball remedies mentioned, you can find your way to the best hairball remedy for cats.
One hairball treatment for cats is to make sure that your cats are brushed and bathed perfectly. You need to groom your cats to the nines using various grooming tools, which will ensure that lesser hair enters their mouth and digestive tract. This will not eliminate the problem, but at least it will lessen it. Grooming season is especially tough for cats as they cough up most hairballs, so finding a permanent remedy is essential.
Using preventive measures for a hairball is a lot better than risking the life of your pet, so make sure you find the right remedy.
One hairball treatment for cats is to make sure that your cats are brushed and bathed perfectly. You need to groom your cats to the nines using various grooming tools, which will ensure that lesser hair enters their mouth and digestive tract. This will not eliminate the problem, but at least it will lessen it. Grooming season is especially tough for cats as they cough up most hairballs, so finding a permanent remedy is essential. Using preventive measures for a hairball is a lot better than risking the life of your pet, so make sure you find the right remedy.