The 10 Best Cat Collars Review 2023
Best Personalized, Breakaway, and Reflective Cat Collars
Using the best cat collar can be a helpful accessory to find and identify your cat. Over the years, cat collars have been used mostly for their functional purposes rather than aesthetics.
Unlike dogs, a wandering cat especially one without a collar doesn’t raise alarm, it is just referred to as a stray but attention is easily given to a wandering cat wearing a collar.
If you have an outdoor cat or an indoor cat that sneaks out from time to time, it is necessary that you get him/her a collar. This is because cats are curious and adventurous pets and no matter how you try to keep them from getting into trouble, they still find themselves in one.
With a collar around your pet’s neck, you can easily attach an ID tag with your contact information just in case he/she gets lost or there is an emergency.
There are various types of cat collars with different functions. The reflective collar that makes your cat visible at night, personalized cat collar, identification collars (that is cat collars with name and number to ensure your cat does not get lost), the GPS collar which helps you keep a tab on your pet’s whereabouts. When you go out for a walk and want to take your pet with you, try using a comfortable cat harness.
The breakaway collars have a safety feature that breaks open when extra force or pressure is applied so your cat does not end up getting strangled or choked if the collar gets caught on something.
With so many collar types to choose from, making the right choice might seem difficult. To make it easy for you to find the top embroidered and breakaway cat collars, we put together this ultimate review and buying guide. It will help you learn about the best cat collars and how to choose a collar that is suitable for your pet friend.
Best Cat And Kitten Collars Compared:
|GOtag Personalized Break-Away Cat Collars
|FlowerTown Cat Collars With Name and Number
|The Usp pet Soft and Comfy Bow Tie Cat Collar
|KUDES Cat Collar Breakaway With Cute Bow Tie
|Chukchi Velvet Adjustable Cat Collar With Bell
|Pipidog Cat Collar With Bow and Bell
|1 & 2
|KOOLTAIL Heart Bling Cat Collar with Safety Belt and Bell
|Pupteck Soft Leather Cat Collar
|Blueberry Pet Breakaway Safety Personalized Cat Collars
|CHUKCHI Soft Velvet Safe Adjustable Cat Collar
Overview of Top Breakaway Collars for Cats:
- GOtag Personalized Break-Away Cat Collars
- FlowerTown Cat Collars With Name and Number
- The Usp pet Soft and Comfy Bow Tie Cat Collar
- KUDES Cat Collar Breakaway With Cute Bow Tie
- Chukchi Velvet Adjustable Cat Collar With Bell
- Pipidog Cat Collar With Bow and Bell
- KOOLTAIL Heart Bling Cat Collar with Safety Belt and Bell
- Pupteck Soft Leather Cat Collar
- Blueberry Pet Breakaway Safety Personalized Cat Collars
- CHUKCHI Soft Velvet Safe Adjustable Cat Collar
Our Best Cat Collar Picks:
1. GOtag Personalized Break-Away Cat Collars
This is a cat collar with name and number. This personalized cat collar is made from no-snag nylon lightweight webbing material. It can be customized with any information of your choice (usually your contact address and pet’s name) which makes it the most expensive cat collar. It also features an adjustable buckle, and patent breakaway clasp designed to quickly release your cat.
The GOtag personalized cat collar has a breakaway feature that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor cats to help keep them safe. With this feature, the risk of your cat getting strangled is reduced to the minimum and your cat can get free from its snagged position without using its paws.
The features of this personalized cat collar is designed to provide your pet with safety, comfort, and style while also protecting it from being stuck in an unpleasant situation for too long. All in all, it is one of the most comfortable cat collars on the market.
- Moderately durable and comfortable to wear
- It is adjustable between 8 and 12 inches to fit a wide range of cats
- Customizable with up to 25 letters
- It has a breakaway feature
- The adjustable slider may rest on some of the customized information
- It is not considered suitable for a kitten because of its size
2. FlowerTown Cat Collars With Name and Number
A Flowertown cat collar is considered an affordable and high-quality cat collar. With this type of cat collar, your cat’s name, and phone number are boldly embroidered on the collar for easy identification.
One of the best things about this buckle cat collar with name and number is that you can easily customize it with personalized information, and various colors of your choice. The personalized information on this collar can help get your cat back to you if he/she ever gets lost. Most Flowertown collars also have breakaway features.
This means that they offer both safety and beauty to your pet and if the collar ever gets stuck on something, your cat will be able to break free from it.
The features of a Flowertown cat collar include a breakaway buckle to help your cat break free with moderate pressure just in case your it ever gets stuck somewhere, personalized information (mostly done in all capital letters for legibility) which makes it easy for people to contact you if your cat ever gets missing.
FlowerTown outdoor cat collar also has a highly reflective surface that is made of nylon webbing with smooth and tapered edges for a comfortable fit. The highly-reflective nature of Flowertown cat collar makes your cat easy detectable at night.
- Best personalized cat collar for cats who are not comfortable with a name tag hanging off their collar
- It comes in six color options, with 12 different embroidery thread colors to choose from
- It is affordable
- Has a Breakaway and reflective feature for your pet’s safety
- Breakaway buckle comes off too easily
3. The Usp pet Soft and Comfy Bow Tie Cat Collar
The Usp pet soft and comfy bowtie collar is definitely one of the best cat collars with bow for fashion-conscious cat and dog owners. It is a stylish and ultra-comfortable collar made with 100% cotton material that can be used on both cats and dogs.
The cotton material used in making the collar makes is soft, comfortable and durable. Although it is believed to suit a dog better because the type of metal used for its frame may be too heavy for a cat. But it turns out that the smaller size appears to be convenient and comfy for older cats.
The features of this collar include a hand-sewn bowtie attached to the collar with an elastic band, a stainless steel buckle (D-rings) that is welded to the collar for extra strength and durability. Overall, Usp breakaway cat collars are some of the top-rated products on the market.
- This cat collar with bowtie has a unique pattern that varies with design
- Adjustable for a perfect fit
- Bowtie can be detached and cleaned (do not way with machine. Hand wash with mild soap and water instead)
- High quality, cute and durable
- Does not have the breakaway feature
- Not reflective and suitable for leashes
- This cat collar doesn’t have a bell
4. KUDES Cat Collar Breakaway With Cute Bow Tie
This is considered one of the best cat collars with bowtie and bell because it offers both safety and style to your pet. This collar also features a breakaway buckle and an adjustable strap.
It is made out of durable cotton fabric and is suitable for both cats and puppies. The plaid design on the fabric makes this collar cute and very fashionable.
The bowtie is attached with an elastic and so, can be easily moved or detached. Furthermore, a pack contains two cute colors with the same design but different colors hence, you can always switch your pets’ style.
The bell attached makes it easy for you to keep track of your cat or puppy in your home. Although this collar offers safety features to your pet, you may have to buy a new collar almost every time your over-curious pet gets stuck somewhere and they break free from the collar.
- Available in different colors
- One pack contains two collars
- Removable bowtie
- Durable for long-lasting use.
- Breakaway feature
- Some pet owners stated that the cat collar irritated their cat’s skin
- This feline collar is not reflective
5. Chukchi Velvet Adjustable Cat Collar With Bell
This is the best cat collar for those that want something fancy at a low price. The chukchi velvet adjustable collar includes a gorgeous heart pendant in the middle, an adjustable buckle, a stretchy material to fit perfectly around your cats’ neck and a soft velvet covering to enable your cat stay comfortable.
The features of this collar are designed to provide both style and comfort to your pet. Most cat owners do not like the loud tingling sounds from the bells attached to their cats’ collar and so, they avoid buying collars with bells for their cats.
The bell attached to this collar is not loud enough to cause any irritating sound. It has several colors ranging from Black to Blue, Pink, Purple. You can easily select any color to fit your cats’ personality and style without breaking the bank.
It is important you know that although the stretchy-factor on this collar can be helpful, it doesn’t fully replace the safety that a breakaway collar provides.
- Available in different colors
- Lightweight and adjustable
- It is fashionable and has a personalized design. Hence, perfect for party costumes, wedding & holiday gifts.
- Does not have a breakaway feature
6. Pipidog Cat Collar With Bow and Bell
This is a beautiful and attractive cat collar with bow suitable for both indoor and outdoor cats. It is considered one of the best cat collar with bow-tie when it comes to fashion and functionality.
With a collar like this around your cats’ neck, you are sure to get a compliment from your fellow fashion-conscious cat lovers. This high-quality breakaway cat collar is made with a soft cotton material that ensures long-lasting comfort, style, and strength.
This collar features a handmade removable bowtie that is durable and attached to the collar with two elastic bands, a safety quick release cat clip (breakaway) that breaks open with a little pressure to enable your cat to break free easily when the collar gets stuck and a protective bell whose tingling sound gives you a hint of your cats’ whereabouts.
- It has a stainless steel D-ring on it that allows you to attach an ID tag.
- Detachable bowtie
- Best kitten collar. Adjustable between 6.8-10.8″
- The quality cotton belt ensures long-lasting comfort and durability.
- Most customers consider the collar to be too stiff.
7. KOOLTAIL Heart Bling Cat Collar with Safety Belt and Bell
This is made out of soft velvet material with a heart-shaped charm in the middle studded with diamante rhinestone. The KOOTAIL heart bling cat collar with a safety belt is considered to be one of the best cat collars.
It has an adjustable strap and a range of colors you can choose from which include black, purple, red, blue and pink. The velvet material provides extra comfort and helps your pet get used to the collar quickly.
It is also considered easy to wear and fit because of the adjustable alloy collar buckle. This type of collar can be used on both cats and puppies. The fashionable and personalized design makes it the best cat collar for party costumes, wedding & holiday gifts.
- Available in six different colors
- It is fashionable, beautifies and, provides comfort to your beloved pet.
- Best kitten collars
- Soft and comfortable
- It has a bell
- The collar is quite lightweight to ensure optimal comfort so it doesn’t weigh the neck down
- The stretchy feature offers almost the same benefits as a breakaway
- The loop made to hold the end in place is far from the buckle.
- The pointed end of the heart-shaped charm might cause discomfort to bigger cats.
8. Pupteck Soft Leather Cat Collar
Looking for a durable, fashionable and stylish leather collar for your favorite feline friend? This safe cat collar is definitely something you should try.
The PUPTECK soft leather cat collar is handmade out of a soft PU leather material and is easily adjustable to fit a wide range of cats (It can be adjusted from 8.7″- 10.6″), therefore making it an adequate fit for most cats.
The soft leather material makes it durable, easy to use and clean, comfortable and perfect for everyday use. Also, no matter how many times it is bent, it is not prone to wear or tear.
It comes in a pack of two different colors and is a perfect gift for your precious kitty. With many color options to pick from, you can choose what suits your cat’s personality the most.
The PUPTECK soft leather cat collar features a belt buckle style closure with up to 5 adjustable holes. This will allow you to resize the collar to fit comfortably on your cat.
Regardless of size and weight, this soft leather cat collar fits most cats. For kittens, you can adjust the collar to fit their current weight, thus saving you from having to buy several collars as they continue to grow.
- High quality, thick and durable.
- Does not fray or tear
- Easy to use and clean
- Best kitten collars
- Not suitable for large cats
9. Blueberry Pet Breakaway Safety Personalized Cat Collars
The Blueberry pet breakaway safety cat collar is made with polyester webbing (a popular material that is used in making the majority of leashes and collars for pets).
These personalized cat collars are colorful and eye-catchy and also come in several themed-designs that include themes like the wild and the underwater kingdom. Also, most fashion-conscious pet owners consider this to be the best cat collars.
The blueberry breakaway safety collar features a special clasp that breaks open if enough pressure is applied. These collars are designed to break if they get caught on something so your cat doesn’t get choked.
The polyester webbing material used in creating Blueberry personalized cat collars makes it easy to clean, and comfortable for daily use. Its stylish and functional design makes it a perfect fit for your cat.
- Bright, fun colors and themes.
- The collars are made with durable high-density polyester webbing
- Adjustable strap
- Breakaway buckle
- Its adjustable length is between 9-13″ and so, it is not regarded as the best collar for kittens.
10. CHUKCHI Soft Velvet Safe Adjustable Cat Collar
This adjustable collar with bling is just perfect for highly stylish and fashionable pet owners. Everything about this extra lush, elegant and comfortable collar is posh, stylish and classy and just like some human accessories, this collar is considered to be a ‘statement piece’.
This collar is made from soft pure velvet material and decorated with diamante rhinestones. The material is soft, stretchy, and adjustable from 8″ to 10″ to perfectly fit a larger range of cats hence, it provides comfort to your pet. A ring bell is also attached to it with a safety elastic band.
The diamante bling does not only offer aesthetic functions, but it also acts as a top covering for the soft velvet material of the collar to ensure it doesn’t peel off.
This accessory is perfect for indoor rather than outdoor pets. It looks more like a fashion accessory; however, the attached bell helps you keep proper tabs on your pets’ movements. The expandable collar ensures it can easily be pulled or taken off in case any of emergencies.
- Can be adjusted from 8-10″ to fit different sizes of cats
- It is stylish
- It has an elastic belt for extra safety just in case they decide to be adventurous.
- Rhinestones may fall off or break easily
- Not built to last for long
Buyers’ Guide For Best Collars For Cats and Kittens:
With so many products and designs in the market today, choosing a collar that perfectly suits your furry friend can be a tricky task. Although all collars tend to have the same function, they are still different in several ways and so, not all of them are suitable for every cat. Therefore, you must be intentional when choosing the right collar for your cat. Consider the following factors before choosing/ buying a collar for your cat.
General factors to consider when buying cat collars:
Consider the character of your pet. Is it quiet or does it like to explore? This will help you determine whether to buy a breakaway collar in case it gets stuck, a flowertown collar in case it gets lost while exploring, a reflective collar or a collar with a bell if it likes to explore at night.
If it has a medical condition, you should consider indicating it on the collar so that he/she can get the required help when needed in case you are not there.
It is important that you consider the weight of the collar before buying it because your cat might end up tearing up a collar if it is too heavy. In this best breakaway cat collar review, we have included many awesome lightweight cat collars.
Choose a reflective cat collar that you can take off easily. Your cat won’t be patient enough to sit and let you take off its collar. So, when buying a high quality cat collar, you have to be intentional in choosing one that you can take off without stress.
Best collars for indoor cats come in many sizes. While some cute kitten collars are adjustable, there are many safe collars for outdoor cats and indoor cats that don’t adjust to fit large or very small kittens. Therefore, I suggest you check out the size when looking for the best cat collars for safety. In this best cat collar with bell review, we featured several nice cat collars that fit all cat sizes.
Just like buying the best smart cat feeders, when choosing a collar, go for its functionality rather than beauty. For example, a personalized cat collar (especially for an outdoor cat) can get your cat identified and returned easily if lost but without a suitable and informative collar, people may assume your cat is a stray or wild one.
A cat collar with a breakaway feature is never a bad idea. We know just how adventurous and curious these creatures can get, and so even when a collar should provide security, without a breakaway feature, it could end up being unsafe by strangling or causing great discomfort to your cat when stuck in an uneasy situation. Good breakaway collars for cats come off only when extra pressure is applied and not when tugged at.
Pretty cat collars come in tons of shapes and colors. So, I recommend you to make sure the color of the cool cat collars that you picked fits your cat. For instance, when buying a quality cat collar for a black cat, make sure to buy a black cat collar (a color that stands out on the black). You can also always order a custom cat collar if that’s what you prefer.
Types of cat collars:
There are several different beautiful cat collars designs on the market. They include flea cat collars, embroidered cat collars, reflective collars for cats, and breakaway cat collar with bell. But if you don’t like any of them, you can always buy customized cat collars that meet all your needs from size to color and design.
For identification, rather than using a regular collar, you can consider getting him/her one of the best GPS collars for cats. This is a safer option that lasts for a long time. The micro-chipping process is simply inserting an electronic chip about the size of a grain of rice under your pet’s skin in-between the shoulder blades.
If your cat ever gets lost and someone finds him/her, they can easily take him/her to a veterinary clinic. The vet will then scan the chip which has a unique number registered to the pet’s owner only, and once the number has been identified, the vet can contact the microchip company and ask them to get in touch with the owner.
Things to avoid in a cat collar:
- Avoid bad quality collars, with loose threads. Sometimes, the prices of these items can make a user opt for a product with lesser quality. Unless you do not value the life of your cat, avoid settling for collars with bad quality.
- Some tags or bells dangling from your cats’ collars are unnecessary. Try to avoid them by all means. Your cat is definitely taking his/her time to adjust to the collar, any extra unnecessary accessory on the collar can make them uncomfortable.
- Avoid using flea collars. Instead, opt for veterinary spot-on products that are considered very effective and safe to use. Flea collars, when used on cats can cause itching and irritation when left for too long.
- Avoid collars with sharp edges and buckles. These can irritate or bruise your cats’ skin and make them uncomfortable.
Lastly, if you want to keep your home clean and your cat groomed, check out our best cat litter mats and top cat clumping litters. They are some of the best cat supplies that we have picked and reviewed for this year.
Using the best cat collar can be a helpful accessory to find and identify your cat. Over the years, cat collars have been used mostly for their functional purposes rather than aesthetics. Unlike dogs, a wandering cat especially one without a collar doesn't raise alarm, it is just referred to as a stray but attention is easily given to a wandering cat wearing a collar.